Submit Your Own Video Today!
Instructions for Authors
The VJSM specializes in peer-reviewed publications of video content focusing on sexual medicine, notably prosthetic urology. We welcome submissions showcasing innovative technology, surgical methodologies, and solutions for surgical complications in our field. Each submission undergoes a rigorous review by renowned experts in sexual medicine and prosthetic urology.
Due to the enduring nature of video content compared to written articles, the review process is open, meaning the authors' identities are disclosed to reviewers. Given the challenges in revising video content, decisions primarily lean towards acceptance or rejection, with “accept with revision” being a rare outcome. The Editor-in-Chief makes the final publication decision based on recommendations from at least two reviewers.
VJSM is accessible to all members of the International Society for Sexual Medicine (ISSM) and its affiliated societies, courtesy of our commercial sponsors. We urge our audience to acknowledge our sponsors for their support in fostering education in our domain.
To align with the indexing requirements of MEDLINE and PubMed, every video submission must be accompanied by an abstract. Creating the abstract is a straightforward process. Please refer to our abstract instructions below and the example of an abstract (PDF) for more details.
Your abstract should have the information requested below in the suggested numerical order and spacing. Numbering the items is not necessary.
Abstracts should be formatted in Arial 12 pt. in Microsoft Word with 1” margins.
- Title of your video
- Authors of the video
First name, last name
2 minimum, 6 maximum
- Describe your video in a paragraph of no more than 300 words.
Tell the reader what makes your video worth watching. Click here for an example.
None … or the company who helped fund the production
The authors have nothing to disclose … or “Consultant for brand X,” lecturer for Brand Y, “research funded by Brand Z,” etc.
Last name followed by initials of each author. Article title, source, year; volume: page
After completing the abstract, please carefully follow the instructions as indicated under the paragraph “Upload And Delivery Procedures.”
All authors listed on the video are required to declare all competing interests in relation to the video. All videos should have a disclaimer at the beginning of the video listing in writing all competing interests whether financial or non financial for each author. If an author has no competing interests the statement should read, “the author has no disclosures”. If competing interests become public after publication of the article that had not been disclosed, the article will be removed from the VJSM and no further articles will be accepted from that author. If you are unsure whether you have a competing interest, please contact the editor before submission.
Ethics & Patient Consent
Authors will be expected to have obtained ethics committee approval and informed patient consent for a video submission that is experimental or where a procedure varied from the usual clinical practice to meet the patient’s clinical need. In cases where details or images could be recognizable by the individual participating in the video, consent must be documented visually in the film. In cases where images are entirely unidentifiable and there are no details on individuals, consent for display is not required.
By submitting to ISSM-VJSM, you agree to our Non-exclusive License Agreement, enabling us to share your work with our readers, members, healthcare professionals, and other interested individuals.
Click here to download and sign the agreement.
Ensure your video meets our formatting requirements, including length, codec, frame rate, bit rate, resolution, and audio settings, before submission.
Digital Video Requirements
- Length: Video submissions must not exceed 8-minutes in length.
- Codec H.264: The preferred codec is H.264. A codec is the format in which your video will be encoded. H.264 files can be either: .MP4 or .MOV video files.
- Frame rate: 24, 25, or 30 FPS (Constant) Acceptable frame rates are: 24 (or 23.976), 25, and 30 (or 29.97). Tip: It's best to encode your final video at the same frame rate as the original.
- Bit rate: The preferred bit rate is 5,000 kilobits per second (kbit/s) for 720p HD video. Bit rate controls both the visual quality of the video and its file size. Set the target to at least 2,500 kbit/s for standard definition (SD) video or 5,000 kbit/s for 720p HD video.
- Resolution: The preferred resolution is 1280x720p HD video. Acceptable resolutions for SD video include 640 x 480 px (4:3 aspect ratio) and 640 x 360 px (16:9 aspect ratio). The preferred setting is 1280 x 720 px (16:9 aspect ratio) for HD video. Note: VJPU does not accept 1920x1080 or 1440x1080 HD resolutions due to the large file size and high-bandwidth requirements.
- Audio: Codec: AAC-LC (Advanced Audio Codec). Use AAC-LC (low complexity) for the audio codec. We do not accept ER-AAC-LD.
- Audio Data rate: 320 kbit/s: Audio should be encoded at a constant rate of 320 kbit/s.
- Audio Sample rate: 48 kHz: Set the audio sample rate to 48 kHz. If your original working setting was less than 48 kHz then leave it as is.
- Logo's/Watermarks: Please make sure only to have a logo or watermark visible on the title slide/page of the video.
- When you are ready for submission, complete the JotForm application.
- Communication from VJSM will be electronic. The submitter will be responsible for obtaining disclosures and for informing their co-authors. The electronic submitter must be an author.
- You may also suggest known authorities to peer review your submission, but the editorial committee is not required to adhere to your suggested reviewers.
- Your submission will be distributed to the Review Committee. You will be informed about the acceptance or rejection of your video within two weeks.